Monday, November 24, 2008

The Election:

"Zambezi River"
The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water:
He turneth it whithersoever He will.
Proverbs 21:1
-
It is not a secret that I am a registered Republican. Over the last 8 years I have had many friends whose thoughts and opinions I admire greatly, soften some of my views toward the Democratic Party. I would be lying (although as you read further I have lied) to say that I am happy that Obama is our newly elected president – I’m not and in fact I am very concerned for the future of our country.
On the plane ride over to South Africa I sat near a man who was traveling home to visit his family because his father had recently died. We chatted back and forth about the usual – where are you from, what do you do for a living, the weather, but then the conversation turned to the upcoming election. He asked me if I was excited about Obama running for president – I said I was (white lie). He proceeded to tell me that he was still living in South Africa when the first free election was held, and now living in the U.S., he was working at the local Democratic board helping with Obama’s election campaign. He could not contain the smile on his face – it was infectious and even I could appreciate the historical implication that these elections were going to have on his life and many others.
-
As my relationship with the staff members at the children’s home became more personal they felt comfortable to share their political favorite with me – Obama. They did not ask me whom I would choose – I think they assumed it would not be for Obama – I was glad not to have to explain. The staff were very aware of the position their boss took. Most mornings of the week start with staff devotions and the director of the children’s home (a white American) unabashedly asked for prayer for the upcoming elections – specifically that Obama not be elected as our next president. I was so embarrassed each time she brought this up – I would stare at the floor and hope the staff would not link me with her in their thoughts. I’m certain the staff feel vindicated – for that I’m glad. Two days after the election I was in town at the butchers picking up our weekly meat order and the man who runs the cash register asked me if I was unhappy about the outcome of the election. I thought his question was peculiar – he asked if I was unhappy not if I was happy which means he presumed I was against Obama for president. I told him I was happy for the historical event which just took place in the United States – a big day in history. He smiled at me forgivingly and shook his head and agreed with me exuberantly.
-
Again I lied – why you might be asking. First of all there is no way I can overcome the language barrier to thoughtfully explain my political views and the reason I vote along the republican lines. Second I am sympathetic to the struggle black people have had to overcome in the past century. Who am I to dampen the hope in the people I meet in Namibia – they are proud and happy for Obama not because of Obama the man but for what he stands for – hope and freedom. As a citizen of the Untied States, in a country that has only known freedom for about 15 years, I am proud to be an American - I am proud that we have free elections and because of that freedom I will hold my head high and say yes I am glad Obama is President.

1 comment:

Don C. said...

Tina - that was very well said. None of us can cast a stone at your "white lies" :)